Web Page Program Development
A collection of connected documents on. the Internet is called World Wide Web. Each document is called a web page. It may consist of text, graphics, audio or video etc. The developer of web pages are called web page authors.
Different techniques used to develop web pages are as follows:
HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a formatting language used to
develop web pages. Web pages can be viewed in a web browser. Internet Explorer and
Netscape Navigator are two most popular web browsers.
HTML is not a programming language. It is used to define text, graphks, audio and
video in web pages. It uses tags or markups to specify how the contents of web page will be
displayed. HTML code can be written in any text editor like Notepad.
Script is an interpreted program that runs on the client computer. It is written in a
scripting language. An interpreted language used to write scripts is called scripting language.
Applet is a sz Java program that can be embedded in HTML. It runs faster than
script because it is compiled. Applet is different from. Java applications. It cannot access
certain resources on the local computer such as files and serial devices like modems, printers,
etc. It is also prohibited from communicating with most other computers across a network.
Normally, an applet can only connçct to the computer from which the applet was sent.
An applet that runs on a• web server is called serviet. It responds to requests from
clients. Servlets extend a Web server by generating content dynamically.
5. ActiveX Controls
ActiveX is a set of object-oriented technologies that allow components on a netwok to
communicate with one another. ActiveX control runs on client computer instead of server,
I Advantages of using Scripts, Applets, Servlets & ActiveX Controls
There are many advantages of using scripts, applets, servlets and ActiveX controls.
They provide the following facilities:
• Multimedia Effects: They add special multimedia effects to web pages such as
animated graphics, scrolling text, calendars and advertisements etc.
• Interactive Capabilities: They provide interactive capabilities to web pages.
• Counters: They are used to create counter for websites. A counter is used to track the
number of visitors to a website.
• Image Map: A graphic that is used as a hyperlink is called image map. Different.
parts of the same image may link to different web pages.
• Processing Forms: Processing forms are used to collect data from visitors. The information entered in the forms is processed by scripts or applets.
• CGI Programs: CCI stands for Common Gateway Interface. It is a standard that defines how web server communicates. with outside sources. A program that manages this communication is known as CGI program or CGI script.