Internet provides various facilities and uses for users. Some facilities are:
1. World Wide Web (WWW):-www is a collection of millions of websites. A websites contains different web pages containing information. www organizes this information in such a way that users can easily search and access the required information.
2. E-mail:-Email stands for Electronic Mail. Email is the exchange of messeges and files using Internet. Message can be in the form of graphics, sounds, video clips or simple text. It is a fast way of sending messages anywhere in the world in a very short time.
3.Telnet:-TELNET is a program that is used to connecting a remote computer on Internet. A computer can act like a terminal directly linked to the computer. It allows a user to logon to a remote computer. The user can logon to the computer and use it as if he connected to the computer directly.
4. File Transfer Protocol:-
File Transfer Protocol is used to transfer files over the Internet. Audio, video, graphics and data files can be uploaded or downloaded using this protocol.
The process of transferring a file from remote computer to local computer is called downloading. The process of transferring a file from a local computer to remote computer is called uploading. Different software are available to use this protocol fo transferring files on the Internet. CuteFTP and WS_FTP are examples of FTP software.
5. Gopher:-Gopher is a menu-based system for exploring the Internet and its resources. It provides the facilities of search and file retrieval on the Internet It organizes resources in such a way that finding information becomes easier on the internet.
6. Chat Groups:-Chatting is a process of exchanging views on the Internet by typing text messages. Chat group is a group of users with similar interest. Many users join chat groups. The users can interact with one another in real-time. It means that they are online at the same time.
7. Intranet:-Intranet is a private and secure business network. It uses Internet technology to provide information to the employees of the organization. The information can be protected from unauthorized users. It is designed to meet the internal needs for sharing information within a single organization or company
8.Extranet:-Extranet is a collection of two or more intranets. It can be accessed by authorized users from outside the organization. Different organizations can use extranet to share the information of their intranets. An organization can apply security measures to provide limited access to the employees of other organization using the extranet.
Difference Between Intranet and Extranet:-
Intranet :-1. Intranet contains the information of one organization.
2. Intranet is used to provide information to the employees.
Extranet :-1. Extranet may have the information of two or more organizations.
2. Extranet is used to share information with other organizations.